Position: Human Resources Manager, US
Location: Louisiana (Hybrid / Fully remote)
Preferred Start Date: Open until filled
About Taproot Earth
Taproot Earth is a new international organization galvanizing frontline solutions to address our climate reality. We are dedicating the next seven years to the ambitious goal of slowing climate change and delivering for the planet. We envision a world where we all can live, rest, and thrive in the places we love.
The Human Resources Manager (HRM) reports to the Chief of Staff and will work collaboratively across the organization to provide human resources support and infrastructure for staff, consultants, interns, and fellows located across the country.
The position requires demonstrated competency in the following areas:
- Proven experience leading and directing the routine functions of the Human Resources (HR) departmenti, preferably in a not-for-profit, including interviewing, hiring, onboarding, developing, and offboarding staff.
- Progressive experience with employee relations; enforcing company values, policies, and practices; benefits and leave policies; and payroll administration.
- Serve as the staff liaison and sponsor of our employee resources groups (ERG’s).
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and develop HR plans and programs that align with the organization’s strategic goals, vision, mission, guiding principles, and core competencies.
- Experience and success in motivating, recruiting, developing, retaining, and mentoring high-performance, mission-driven, and results-oriented individuals and teams.
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written – in a remote workplace and online environment, including the ability to communicate effectively with staff at all levels of the organization, as well as external partners and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in working with remote staff in a home office environment.
- Lived experience in, or demonstrated knowledge of Black, Indigenous, and poor people’s rights, cultures, histories, and communities as well as the impacts of climate change on the Global South, Gulf South Region, and Appalachian communities.
- Demonstrated commitment to advancing environmental justice and practices of anti-Black, BIPOC, gender oppression, and micro-aggressions within the organization and its HR policies, programs, and practices.
About the Position
Taproot is seeking qualified professionals or firms for a Human Resources Manager position reporting to the Chief of Staff to help support our US staff and teams. This is a full-time, hybrid that will require travel to our Slidell, LA office as necessary. Candidates who are committed to climate justice, frontline leadership, Black Liberation, and building a movement for a more just and sustainable economy are encouraged to apply.
Key Duties, Responsibilities, and Deliverables
- Oversees the daily workflow of the department including one dotted-line administrative direct report.
- Work closely with the Chief of Staff to facilitate talent management including, professional development plans, performance reviews, discipline, and termination of employees in accordance with company policy.
- Support the organization’s ERG group by attending meetings and serving as a management ally and liaison.
- Partner with the leadership team to develop the following HR tools and protocols:
- Employee Handbook
- Employee Orientation Process and Platform
- HR Policies
- Operate as the key contact for all employee relations issues
- Provide support and guidance to management, and other staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise; may be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, investigating allegations of wrongdoing, and terminations.
- Work closely with the Chief of Staff and our consultants to implement our HRIS system and manage HRIS-related activities for all employees.
- Manage the talent acquisition process, which may include developing job descriptions, recruitment, interviewing, and hiring of qualified job applicants, particularly for managerial, exempt, and professional roles; collaborates with departmental managers to understand skills and competencies required for openings.
- Oversee employee disciplinary meetings, terminations, conflict resolution, and investigations.
- Maintain compliance with all insurance needs according to government and company policies.
- Support the co-creation of an organizational culture and workplace that is accountable to our frontline communities and embodies care, transparency, and trust in all our ways of being and doing.
Skills and Attributes:
Ideal candidates will possess the following Skills/Competencies:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation, and conflict-resolution skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Possess a climate justice lens, and an anti-black structural, systems, and cultural analysis
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to prioritize tasks and delegate them when appropriate
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- Thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, Google Workplace, and other HR systems-related software
- Proficiency with or the ability to quickly learn the organization’s HRIS and talent management systems
- Certification in employee psychometrics assessment tools, Culture Talk, ICF coaching certification, or employee wellness expertise (highly desirable)
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of three years of human resource management experience is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP highly desired.
- This is a full-time, hybrid position with an office in Slidell, LA.
- 35 – 40 hours per week. Position will require occasional travel, attending conferences or convenings, and some, evening/weekend engagements.
Application instructions: Send your cover letter, resume and three recommendations to Jobs@taproot.earth.
Taproot Earth is an equal-opportunity employer.