Location: Fully remote I Organization: Taproot Earth I Preferred Start Date: April 1, 2023
Taproot is seeking applicants for a Just Transition Lawyering Network Manager. This position is intended to cultivate a network of lawyers and legal advocacy networks committed to supporting Black-, Brown-, and Indigenous-led frontline climate movements that build power, shift resources, and advance change for climate justice and a just transition.
The Just Transition Lawyering Network Director is primarily responsible for co-creating, implementing, and managing the national Just Transition Lawyering Network (JTLN). Candidates who hold a juris doctor degree and are committed to climate justice, frontline leadership, Black Liberation, and building a movement for a more just and sustainable economy are encouraged to apply.
Taproot Earth is a new international organization galvanizing frontline solutions to address our climate reality. We are dedicating the next seven years to the ambitious goal of slowing climate change and delivering for the planet. We envision a world where we all can live, rest, and thrive in the places we love.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Co-design and co-create the infrastructure and processes to implement, support, and advance the Just Transition Lawyering Network.
- Implement outreach strategies and engagement opportunities that offer pathways and a ladder of involvement into the Network for licensed attorneys, including lawyers currently mobilized to support frontline communities and those seeking to align their law practices with the values and demands of a just transition.
- Cultivate and facilitate relationships between frontline communities, legal practitioners, and legal scholars in support of effective and accountable community-based movement lawyering.
- Co-develop political education curricula, facilitation processes, and tools that support law and organizing strategies and community self-governance.
- Create curricula and cultivate opportunities for shared learning, coordination, and collaboration, supporting JTLN lawyers in their professional development and strategic actions, including in partnership with the Just Transition Lawyering Institute.
- Collaborate with Taproot’s Organizing Team to deepen relationships with movement partners and strengthen legal support for organizing ecosystems, with a focus on the U.S. Gulf South and Appalachia.
- Build out systems to facilitate individual attorney referrals and mobilize rapid response to legal needs in times of disaster.
- Represent Taproot in regional, national, and global partnerships.
- Other duties and responsibilities as defined by the Leadership and Executive Team.
This position reports directly to Taproot’s Legal Director.
- This is a full-time, remote position.
- Some travel is required. Taproot hosts in-person staff meetings up to four times per year (when COVID allows safe travel and social interaction) and hosts a number of convenings throughout the year).
- This is a Band C position with a salary of $75,000 – 85,000 per year.
- Benefits are listed here.
Qualifications & Experience
Ideal candidates will possess:
- Law degree from an accredited U.S. law school or five or more years of experience as an organizer working to implement law and organizing strategies.
- Experience facilitating coalitions and campaigns.
- Experience in coordinating strategic actions to advance frontline solutions.
- Experience working with frontline communities that are impacted by extractive economies.
- Experience in deep listening and processing community information in clear and tangible ways.
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team in a collective decision-making process.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and offer critical thinking, direction, and processes to address challenges.
- Demonstrated knowledge of intersectionality and issues that impact frontline communities (this could include issues surrounding water, energy, land, housing, healthcare, labor, economic justice, anti-carceral, or democracy and human rights).
- Demonstrated ability in project management, documentation, and coordinating meetings, events, and efforts.
- Demonstrated ability to stay on task and focus on emergent strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to connect local to global fights and challenges.
- License to practice law in LA, MS, TX, AL, FL, Puerto Rico, or DC are a plus.
- Excellent Zoom meeting and webinar production chops are a plus.
- Familiarity with the Gulf South communities and politics are a plus.
Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and three relevant professional references to email@example.com with the subject line “Just Transition Lawyering Network Manager.” Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Preferred application deadline: January 31, 2023