Location: Hybrid (LA)
Preferred Start Date: Open until filled
Taproot Earth is a new international organization galvanizing frontline solutions to address our climate reality. We are dedicating the next seven years to the ambitious goal of slowing climate change and delivering for the planet. We envision a world where we all can live, rest, and thrive in the places we love.
We are seeking a passionate and experienced Manager of U.S. Convenings and Events Manager to lead and oversee our organizational activities and convenings within the United States. Reporting directly to the Chief of Staff, this position will play a pivotal role in driving the execution of our mission and ensuring the seamless coordination of various staff and frontline convenings and events. This is a full-time fully remote position, ideally based in the Gulf South region of the USA.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Operational Leadership: Lead and manage convening and event planning, coordination, and other related activities, ensuring alignment with the organization’s mission, strategic objectives, and operational guidelines.
- Cross-Functional Collaboration: Collaborate with various teams, including Marketing, Programs, Communications, and Finance, to facilitate smooth communication and execution of events and other related projects.
- Frontline Communities: Oversee the planning, implementation, impact evaluation, and reporting of TE initiatives aimed at advancing our U.S. Frontline community initiatives in the US and support our team leaders who are leading those convenings and events.
- Vendor Qualification: Develop a vendor procurement process to ensure that all of our vendors are in compliance with our vendor policies, diversity, and regulatory guidelines.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders, partners, and collaborators to enhance Taproot Earth’s visibility and influence.
- Budget Oversight: Work closely with the Finance team to manage budgets, monitor financial performance, and ensure responsible and timely resource allocation and expense reconciliation for all events and activities.
- Performance Metrics: Establish convenings and events budgets, key performance indicators (KPIs) and metrics to identify budget variances, and measure the cost and operational effectiveness of all of our convenings, events, and activities.
- Compliance and Reporting: Ensure compliance with relevant regulations, insurance coverage, and reporting requirements related to the organization’s activities in the US.
Professional Experience and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in operations management, preferably in a mission-driven organization, the environmental sector and serving BIPOC communities.
- Strong understanding of environmental sustainability, regenerative practices, and related challenges.
- Proven track record of effectively planning events and leading cross-functional, culturally diverse teams, managing remote team members, and honoring cultural practices in countries and communities that host us.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and stakeholder engagement skills.
- Strategic thinker with the ability to translate vision into actionable plans.
- Experience in program management, budget oversight, and performance measurement.
- Familiarity with compliance and reporting requirements for non-profit organizations.
- Passion for environmental sustainability and a deep commitment to the organization’s mission.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to adapt to a dynamic and evolving environment.
- A collaborative and inclusive approach to problem-solving and conflict resolution.
- Innovative thinker with a willingness to explore new approaches and solutions.
- Robust and mission, values aligned race, culture, class, and gender analysis that is applied to creating internally and externally focused events and activities while supporting our policies, practices, and systems.
Skills and Attributes:
Ideal candidates will possess:
- Experience working with and identifying how our internal operations support the needs of communities.
- Experience in coordinating strategic actions to advance community-based and driven solutions.
- Experience in deep listening and processing information across internal functions in clear and tangible ways.
- Knowledge of database management, surveying, and data analysis;
- Demonstrated ability to work on a team in collective decision-making processes.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and offer critical thinking, direction, and processes to address challenges and opportunities in a time and budget-sensitive manner.
- Demonstrates the ability of coordination skills across multiple identities, geographies, and world views.
- Demonstrates ability to think strategically, and translate across cultures and geographies while incorporating local realities;
- Demonstrates ability to create short to long-term work planning processes and performance metrics;
- Demonstrated knowledge of intersectionality and issues that impact frontline communities (this could include issues surrounding water, energy, land, housing, healthcare, labor, economic justice, anti-carceral, or democracy and human rights).
- Demonstrated ability in project management.
- Familiarity with the movement landscape across the Golf South communities and politics are a big plus.
- Fluent verbal and written communication and language skills in English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish is highly desirable.
This is a full-time, hybrid position with an office in Slidell, LA.
35 – 40 hours per week. Position will require occasional travel, attending conferences or convenings, and some, evening/weekend engagements.
Employment is based on a one-year employment contract for all full-time employees and is renewable based on performance review and recommendation.
Applicantion Instructions: Send your cover letter, resume and three recommendations to Jobs@taproot.earth.
Taproot Earth is an equal-opportunity employer.
- This is a Band C and D position with a salary of $77,250 – $87,550 per year,
- Benefits are available on our website at https://taproot.earth/careers/ .